I can tell it's summer from the
Size of the bugs that fly through my window
Flying through my window
-"Rusted Wheel", Silversun Pickups
Size of the bugs that fly through my window
Flying through my window
-"Rusted Wheel", Silversun Pickups
Wake up and it’s Matt saying bye because he has to go to work now and looks sharp in his suit and I’m welcome to stay as long as I want and I say thanks and give him a hug because what else is there to do and we say our goodbyes and I sleep again. Wake up and check the flights online and the one I wanted has vanished and cannot be found so I buy a ticket for one in a couple of hours out of LaGuardia. Shower and talk to Matt’s roommate who says LaGuardia is an hour away and panic and bolt downstairs with my bag and catch a cab and tell him to hurry up and the fare turns out to be almost $30 and I run out and do actually make my flight to New Orleans. Leave Kim a text message and fly away into the sky and look at the ground below me and think about how much of the U.S. there really is that I’ve never been and how I’m more terrified in my own country than any other I’ve ever been to because the people here are capable of so much devastation that I’m almost sad but elated too because I can speak this language and learn these streets and lands and maybe one day find somewhere I like enough to stay. Fly further and decide I’m full of shit and will always move around like a balloon in the wind and no where will ever make me feel satisfied but maybe that’s for the best since travel is fun. Land in New Orleans and stand for a second on the curb wondering if Kim will pick me up and decide no she won’t so jump in a cab and go to her place but give them the wrong address at first and the cab driver has a flat rate double the cab to the airport when I left and he doesn’t know where the street is anyway and I get annoyed because he’s a cab driver and what the fuck would I be doing giving him the directions from the airport. Show up at Kim and Brian’s place and let myself in with the key I still have and maybe someone is home and maybe they aren’t so I call out and no one answers but drop my bags off in the guest bedroom and grab The Extras and start to read it again. Place Pygmy on the shelf for Brian and Kim to read because I don’t want extra baggage on my eventual flight back and today is Monday and on Thursday I fly and now the days are flying past me and I cannot stop it though I want to because I’m going back to nothing but dust and shit and fire and heat. Read the book until angry termites start to swarm inside and send a panicked text message to Kim and Brian asking for directions to combat these ant-like invaders and they both tell me to turn the lights off so I sit in the dark glaring at the book I can not longer read. Sit inside and Kim and Brian come back from work later and talk with them and maybe have a drink or two with dinner and sit and enjoy the night and Kim cooks Thai and I think it’s great but she stares at it and can’t identify one of the vegetables and warns us not to eat it. Decide not to go out tonight because I’m still peaked from everything so far so sit around read more and then eventually go to sleep and get a text from one of the random girls I met the week before asking me if I’m out and I say tomorrow and she says OK and I crash, tired.
[Flying is fun]
No comments:
Post a Comment