I've already spent
Time in delirium
I've already been
To the other side and back again
-"Don't Think, Just Move", Acroma
I've already been
To the other side and back again
-"Don't Think, Just Move", Acroma
Wake up on the floor again. Swiftly wrap up my belongings and leave a small cairn of military clothing next to the couch – I don’t travel with unnecessary things. Call a taxi and have a slice of watermelon left out on the counter, jump in and go to the airport. Strut around knowing that if I make my flight or don’t make my flight, it doesn’t matter and for that I’m having a blast. Ask the lady if I can actually buy a plane ticket at the counter and yes I can so I grab a flight to Newark. Before boarding I buy an egg breakfast sandwich that turns out to be an egg Po-Boy, fitting with New Orleans’ style. Jump on the plane and fly off into the sky. Land later in New Jersey and stroll meaninglessly around looking for gate 111X. Notify my parents of my arrival time and debate buying a beer but see instead the new Chuck Palahniuk book and purchase that instead. Jump
on a people mover and spy a little boy trying to scale the handrail in the opposite direction. Meet eyes and as I pass by him I raise my hand for a high five and he meets it. We both grin as the rubber belts shoot us away from each other. Sit and read and catch the connection to Scranton. Sit next to no one interesting and share no fun words of conversation. Arrive at the airport and grab my checked baggage of suits to deposit at my parents house. Dad is waiting for me at the airport and we drive up to High Point State Park to help work at the concession stand with my Mom and her neighbor Jim. Sell nothing, no one is around. Move some random belongings and organize a bit then drive to my parents place but stop first at a beer store to pick up something to drink. Grab Heineken for my Dad but realize I’ve picked up the child sized version and put it back. Finish the drive and head to my parents place to sit down and relax and start sneezing and having trouble breathing from the cat, who I am allergic to. She knows it and glares at me through smug eyes. Have a few Purple Haze beers, which no one else enjoys. Eat teriyaki chicken and risotto rice for dinner; watch
some movies from my computer with my parents. Eventually go to sleep and sleep the uncomfortable slumber of one who cannot breathe, and who is excited for the days to come.
[Through the distant clouds lies High Point, and home.]
No comments:
Post a Comment