Sunday, February 1, 2009

Ah yes, the Super Bowl.

Today is the day after the Super Bowl. There was definitely a lot of hype (I wonder what hype is short for...) surrounding not the game, but the opportunity to be given two real beers during the event. In order to acquire the beer, we were briefed, you had to show up to the dining facility (there is only one here on FOB Kalsu, named after a former NFL player to be drafted into the Army and die in Vietnam, Bob Kalsu) at or around 0100, Monday morning. This was necessary because the game would be starting at 0200 local time, and why would anyone get beer at a reasonable hour?

So, by my understanding of time, it was possible to do one of the three following actions:
1)Go to sleep at a normal time. Wake up, head to the dining facility, consume two beers, go back to sleep.
2)Stay awake until 0100. Go to the dining facility (D-Fac for short) and get the two beers, drink them, and then go back to sleep.
3)Watch the game, with or without beers or sleep ahead of time, eventually going to sleep somewhere near breakfast time.

I had no interest in the game. Not to mention, I dislike staying up until dawn just 'cause. So I declined option number three and decided ahead of time that I would go, have my two beers, and then go back to sleep.

The longer I thought about it the less desire I had to actually go. Why, I wondered, should I waste time not only walking to the D-Fac but also waiting in line to get inside, finding the "area" I was supposed to be in, waiting in line to sign my name on a piece of paper saying I was who I was, getting a beer, drinking it, going back in line with the empty can to get another beer, drinking it, going back in line with the empty can to be allowed to leave, and then walking back to my CHU? In my head the whole process would take something close to an hour. For two beers.

I was supposed to go with Angela to go get the beers, and she planned on stopping by at 0030 to collect me. So I made up an additional option, 4)Sleep through it all. I didn't mean to sleep through her knocking on the door (if she did - my memory of what actually occured while sleeping is tantamount to holding conversations underwater in the moonlight) but I woke up at 0900 well rested and not teased by a meager two beers.

There just wasn't a way I was going to waste so much time for such a pointless buzz. After all, if a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing right.

No comments: