Saturday, September 19, 2009

Susan

The interpreter, Susan, well, she reached the same level of nothing that we're all at by now. She pulled me aside in the office and dropped her little bombshell:

"I...I don't know what I'm doing here."

"You mean like translating?"

"No, I have no idea why I'm at work right now. There isn't any work to do here. Why are these people so stupid as to keep me here?" I agreed with her, there wasn't work to do there, and keeping her around was pointless. Like asking someone to wait in a line that goes nowhere.

"Hah! I agree. Why don't you just go home? I'll say I let you go."

"Are you sure? I don't want to get you in trouble..."

"No, it's fine. I like trouble anyway."

And suddenly, thrown casually out into the conversation, Susan said what I had been thinking the entire time I was in Speicher:

"Thank you. I wish I were going with you and Chanatee, and to Al Asad, not Balad. I cannot stand Quiet, or L-Word, they are horrible leaders."

"Haha! You're telling me. Go home, I'll talk to you later."

No comments: