Thursday, August 20, 2009

The Jump

There is an air of excitement in the moments before we go on meetings that is truly unparalleled. My heart beats heavier and electrodes deep within my skin crackle to life as never before in anticipation of the hours to come. My breathing becomes nervous, jittery, for perhaps this meet on this day is the one. The one of my fantasies where the minor side character reveals himself to be the mastermind enemy, cloaked in mystery but shroud revealed suddenly in a great violence. How I can fantasize about such things! How I lament their base in fiction! For under-armored and ill-protected none-the-less, those with whom we conspire ate never what they seem not to be. My energy fades, and I am left in the mundane.

*After one month of being in this current assignment, the team I am on has out-produced every single other MCC (Military Counter-Intelligence Collection) Team in Iraq. We, in one month, have become #1 in the theater of operations, against the other teams' 2 month long efforts. Does this say good things about our abilities, or terrible things about theirs? A bit of both I'm afraid. A bit of both. Imagine what we could do it we didn't half-ass it all the time...*

No comments: