Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Energy and Fun. And not. And I hate writing titles.

I have no reason to be awake but conversely, I have no reason to be asleep. I returned today [Note: At time of publishing this, "today" was a few days ago] from my wretched stay in Baghdad, the first week and a half wasn’t bad at all. I exercised my mind and body and felt generally good. And then I was stuck in holding pattern, literally, for 5 days. Not sure when I would leave but certain that yes, I would soon be gone and returned to Mosul.

Finally this morning we left that place and came here, me and Sweetums, pictured below. I arrived and threw my things in my room, and began the arduous process of transferring my latest acquisitions of music to a hard drive – I have lucked out beyond my belief. The Billboard Top 100 songs from years 1960-2007. A quick mathematical query says I now have a billion songs. A billion wonderful songs which remind me of every year since 1960, most of which I was never alive for. “Semantics!” I would shout at the heavens if doing so would not earn me glances of disdain cast from those around me. Pure folly that I wasn’t around to appreciate those years anyway. Like American History, who cares if I didn’t experience it, I can understand it later. Like my sister, waving around General Washington’s sword in a museum; we are history. Current anyway.
[Sweetums, in a stock photo courtesy of Jim Henson's people.]

Moot point. The music leaves me drowning under waves of nostalgia for reasons unknown and forced my hand to sprint up to the local convenience store. Not a 7-11 per say, but that’s only because the local 7-11 (which features a stolen sign and no real amenities) is too far. Instead I went to the “strip mall”, a collection of 5 stores opposite the gym. One sells energy drinks, and I slapped a metaphorical wad of bill on the counter when purchasing my Wild Tiger brand energy. Wild Tiger is a strange concoction on the energy drink scale. Half in English, half in Arabic, the cover icon says “Total Activation” with a Tiger superimposed on a circle of red. The tiger however, looks extremely doped and closer examination reveals a collection of spider legs dangling out of his mouth. Wild Tiger, Total Activation to remove all household pests! Besides having no identifiable flavor, there is a huge level of caffeine inside. I’m sure it’s healthy, as healthy as any of us anyway.
[Spiders. Spindley spiders. Thats what says "Energy!" to me.]

Long story short (too late!) the music, the caffeine and taurine and sucrose and strychnine, all of it encompassed me in a deluge of regret: these moments are better shared with those like me. Like a certain friend residing in Seattle and studying to sell prescription drugs. Or an old acquaintance stuck in Alabama, winding down the days until he can return to his glory land. Those who find weather, music, tastes and sights to deliver flood strength remembrance know what I mean. Sometimes as good as you can get just isn’t good enough: you need your friends to share it with.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

good god that is days of musical fun... Rawr you are now a tiger!

O.W.M. said...

Wild Tiger....Now with more Nicotine!

SWEETUMS AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA!!!!! Very nice graphic representation of my fellow teammate. TEAM 3!
Old White Man.

Keith said...

Jon: Are you drunk? If so, I'm envious.

O.W.M.: I've known for the longest time that he reminded me of a Muppet character, and that was the closest I could get to the one dancing around my head. How's life on the East side?