Thursday, May 7, 2009

Job Insecurities

I still don't know what I do at work. I've managed to narrow the list down to the following:

1) My purpose is to sit around and make smart-assed side comments on everything I hear. Every now and then I ignore someone telling me to do something and provide borderline insubordination. I often barter and behest for an early release of the day.

2) Due to a situation based borderline photographic memory I for some reason possess, my purpose at work is to recall certain events and information when I'm requested to. This can vary from the word by word replay of a conversation under debate, to the exact numbering and type of an inventory, to the places and activities of individuals in the past, present, and expected future. This means that at times I replace a valuable notebook, with a quicker reference system. At other times, because the event disinterested me, I cannot even recall it happening. All or nothing it seems.

3) I provide advice to others, often times who are not looking for it. Maybe I have a suggestion for a better route of driving; maybe I know a smoother way of printing that file. I might have a suggestion which will get us out of doing a meaningless task, and I might know how you can betray that person without them finding out. I'm a Jack of All Trades, as long as those trades are situational in nature and of very little value most of the time.

4) As a Counter Intelligence professional, I serve the greater Military Intelligence field by providing accurate and timely assessments of suspected espionage, subversion, sedition, and sabotage, while often conducting liaisons with host nation authorities and anyone who might provide valuable human intelligence assets through friendly and sometimes deceptive methodology. This doesn't happen at the moment because our mission doesn't dictate it, so I sit idle.

5) Because I've been able to successfully pass off all responsibilities to others, I am a figure head of the greater idea of an MFT. I am not the "lead" on any one activity, so in case of work someone else is sought after first. I accept this, and even revel in it, considering my minute desire to complete tasks given to me. It isn't that I'm lazy; I just don't care to do the mundane. Because of this, I'm looked at as an auxiliary asset: I could be partaking in the exploitation of media, but someone else is the lead on that so let's use them instead!

Those are what I'm working with, as far as work goes. I think all are likely, but which one is my primary purpose? At this point, 6 months into the deployment, I'm almost inclined to believe that my main motif and purpose is to draw a paycheck. And it isn't even a good one.

No comments: