Monday, January 12, 2009

Headaches and More mud!

It's almost as if this whole Iraq place is a dream. A boring dream, which doesn't seem to ever even remotely end. And who is having this dream, well, it sure isn't me.

The weather outside is crappy, cold winds and wet ground, the mud presents problems in travel across every venue. Gravel roads, one might imagine, prevent mud from arising to the surface to screw with you, but it doesn't work that way. Instead, the gravel seems to attract a gluey sort of substance on top of it, making the journey on foot feel like kneading dough with boots. Muck. Muck is a proper word to describe this.

So far, the only mission I can detect in this outpost is to create, transport, and emplace concrete (Jersey) barricades for other outposts. A self-sustaining machine if you will. Being in intelligence, my role is limited, and by limited I mean non-existent. So my Sodoku skills have sharpened, but staring at the numbers for hours at a time gives me terrible headaches. If I add it to the other medical ailments I refuse to bother getting treated, I'm a fine piece of work.

All's quiet on the Iraq front. At least, sitting around here it is. Somewhere there has to be more of war than in this place, where the most exciting news I've gotten recently has been that someone ran over a set of wires providing power to an Iraqi village.

Peacekeeping. What is it good for...

No comments: