Saturday, December 13, 2008

Thin Mints

A knock on the door and there stood Thin Mints. Child-like grin on his face, Army Shirt with woolen cap on his head. And of course, striped blue underwear and flip flops. Blue had been in the middle of asking me a question, but I still shouted to the knocked on door, “Come in!”

No one ever heard me when I shouted at doors, as if the paper-thin walls stopped their audio translucency at the metal door. Really, why re-enforce a doorway if the roof and walls were made of Paper Mache. Regardless, I still bellowed at every knock and noise. I’d vary between a demand of “Who is it!?” to the simple “Come in” to the ever-pointless, “Just a sec!” I mean, with no one hearing what I shouted, why did I bother?

But Thin Mints opened the door as was his ways, and stood there cherub smile tainted with mischief on his face, cigarette in hand. “Hey buddy!” Thin Mints beamed at me.

“Hey Buddy! What’s up?” I replied, cigarette-less and lying in bed, my rhetorical question going unanswered.
“Why are you only wearing underwear?” It seemed as good a question as any I suppose.
“Yeah it’s fucking cold out,” he shivered.
“So anyway, what time do you think I should get up if I have to be up at 0445?” Blue continued to ask, ignoring Thin Mints in his undergarments.
Thin Mints took the opportunity to respond – “0445!”
“I said I have to be ready at 0445, so when should I get up?” Blue asked again.
“Four forty five. Did I stutter? God,” Thin Mints replied bitterly, finishing his smoke and coming inside.

No comments: